Oops! It appears that you have disabled your Javascript. In order for you to see this page as it is meant to appear, we ask that you please re-enable your Javascript!




The Old Manor, Puddletown, Dorset, DT2 8TQ

House 7 Bedroom 6 Bathroom 1 Garage

The Old Manor, Puddletown, Dorset, DT2 8TQ

Contact An Agent

A beautiful and historic manor house in the heart of Hardy Country.

Accommodation

Reception room
Drawing room
Dining room
Sitting room
Library
Music room
Kitchen/breakfast room
Study
Garden room/gymnasium
Utility room
Extensive cellars
3 WCs
Principal bedroom with adjoining bathroom
4 further bedrooms all with adjoining bathrooms
Staff/guest wing with 2 bedrooms, sitting room, kitchen and 2 bathrooms
Garaging for 5 cars
Gardeners office and WC
Beautiful gardens and grounds with extensive lawns
Greenhouse and kitchen garden
Rose garden and topiary
Paddock and woodland
In all about 9 acres

Situation
The Old Manor is situated on the edge of the village of Puddletown which has a range of local facilities. The county town of Dorchester is about 5 miles to the south and provides an extensive range of shopping, business and recreational facilities. Other towns within easy reach include the coastal town of Weymouth, about 13 miles, Sherborne about 18 miles and Blandford Forum, about 12 miles.
Communications in the area include a regular train service from Dorchester to London (Waterloo) taking just over 21⁄2 hours and access onto the A352 providing a north/south route and the A35 at Dorchester providing an east/west link.
Sporting pursuits in the area include National Hunt racing at Wincanton and Taunton; flat racing at Bath and at Salisbury; water sports, sailing and sea fishing along the spectacular Dorset coast and golf at Dorchester (Came Down), Yeovil and Sherborne.

The area is well known for superb schooling including Sherborne Schools, Milton Abbey and Bryanston.

The Old Manor
The house was originally owned by the 3rd Earl of Huntingdon and in 1724 by Robert Walpole, son of England’s first Prime Minister. The Walpole’s, Earls of Orford, were absentee landlords and the most renowned lessee of the manor house, between 1780 and 1830, was General Thomas Garth, principal equerry to King George III. The young Princesses, Mary, Sophia and Amelia frequently stayed at the house, as did the young Duke of York. Princess Charlotte of Wales, the Prince Regent’s only daughter, spent time at the house, but the greatest historical infamy

surrounds the fact that the General adopted King George III’s illegitimate grandson and raised him at the manor.
In 1861 the house was bought by John Brymer and during the following years, the house underwent much improvement, including the addition of the front porch and the billiard room (now the garden room). The house remained in the possession of the Brymer family for just over 100 years.
In recent years the house has been subject to a complete restoration and as a result in 2000, The Old Manor was presented with ‘Dorset Architectural Heritage Award’.

Description
he Old Manor is a Grade II* Listed country house of striking proportions. Its origins lie in the 16th century, undergoing noteworthy alterations around 1690. It is one of very few William and Mary style houses in Dorset.
The driveway leads from impressive entrance gates to a large gravelled turning circle to the front of the house. Constructed of painted rendered brick under a slate roof, first impressions of The Old Manor are on a grand scale. These impressions are certainly continued on entering the reception hall with 17th century wood panelling and splendid oak staircase leading to the first floor galleried landing.
The house is presented in an immaculate condition after being subject to a refurbishment program of the highest standards over recent years. The accommodation comprises well-proportioned and grand reception rooms which, whilst not losing their elegance, are suitably arranged for entertaining. All the rooms are blessed with an array of period features including ornate fireplaces, decorative cornicing, Victorian printed wall tiles and hardwood floors. High ceilings and sash windows give the rooms enormous character.
The grand drawing room and sitting room are located on the first floor giving wonderful views of the grounds. The drawing room is an outstanding room

and is understood to be originally designed for use as a ballroom. It has a marvellous French oak floor with an 18th century marble, jasper and porphyry fireplace. Large French windows lead to a Purbeck stone viewing balcony.
Another of the reception rooms worth mentioning in further detail is the garden room, which is south facing and 36 feet long. It has oak panelling to dado height concealing the radiators and a large open fireplace with oak surround and Victorian tiled hearth. There is fantastic ceiling detail with an impressive atrium. The room is currently used as a gymnasium but would make an ideal billiards room.
Opposite the utility room a door leads to the extensive and secure cellars. Running the entirety of the original footprint of the house these contain the boiler room, storage areas and wine bins. Like the rest of the property these have been restored to the highest standard.
The carved oak staircase ascends from the reception hall to the first floor galleried landing. The large principal bedroom has a magnificent high ceiling almost mirroring the elegant proportions of the ground floor accommodation. A corner door leads to the adjoining bathroom.
There are a further four large bedrooms on this floor each with their own adjoining bathroom.

Staff/guest wing In the western end of The Old Manor is a superb self contained wing that could be used by guests or staff alike. Arranged over two floors and with its own entrance porch these comprise 2 bedrooms, kitchen/breakfast room, sitting room and 2 bathrooms. A door opens to the main house.
Garaging Built to replicate the architectural features of the house with provision for 5 cars with up and over electronically operated doors and full independent heating system. At one end there is a maintenance room for garden machinery and gardener’s room with kitchen services.
Gardens and grounds The gardens surround the house and are immaculately presented. The main drive passes though neatly trimmed lawns bordered by mature trees. The gardens feature mainly formal lawns and herbaceous borders, with fine topiary yew hedges and a compass garden with pond. The garden also has a range of fruit trees and a charming rose garden. A paddock is separated from the formal garden by an effective ha-ha. The garden also features a unique potting shed, heated greenhouse and large cold frames. To the southern boundary there is approximately one acre of woodland which provides wonderful woodland walks.

12.02.2012 Property launched to market with a guide price of £4,950,000

  • Extras – The Old Manor, Puddletown, Dorset, DT2 8TQ

    $3.92
    Add to basket

 

%d bloggers like this: